The Most Perfect Sunset (and I forgot my camera)

Yesterday evening ended with one of the most beautiful displays of color, cloud and light I have ever seen.
(earlier that evening)
Hopping onto my bike, and calling my little brother Timothy to do likewise, I mentally debated on whether I should bring my camera with me, the evening was nothing special, the end of a tortuously hot day, and a breeze was finally making the weather bearable.  
As I began pedaling out of the driveway, my Always Be Prepared side kept nagging, and I knew I had made a mistake the minute my Lazy/Scared to Break My Camera Side kicked in and told me it was no big deal. I shrugged, I should spend time with Timothy anyway.

The bike ride started off weird.
A truck was parked on the side of the road, I figured they were late fishers and would leave us alone. I glanced behind me, making sure Timothy was still on his bike and safe, I really don't like him riding behind me.
When I looked back around, the fishers were boarding their vehicle. I looked back at Timothy again, this time worried about them tearing out and him not knowing what to do. So I slowed down and waited for the people to leave. They seamed to by content to stay in the ditch with their motor running. So I made that stupid mistake to look behind me once again. When I turned back around in my seat, I realized way too late that my tire was about to drop off the side of the three inch high asphalt. I jerked my handle bars back towards the road in a last effort to save myself from falling, my actions only seemed to worsen my problem.
I fell.
Those few terrifying seconds before impact are the worst.
But....
I caught myself, flinging my leg out and bracing it against the surface of the road, I dropped my bike and made a not so graceful trip, then I was on my feet once more.
Overly aware of the fishers who were still sitting in their running vehicle, I hopped back on my bike to make a fast exit.
Timothy lagged behind.
darn!

When we finally got on our way again, the trip was refreshing and fun. Timothy was full of chatter and late evening bird calls were sounding the approach of dusk.
Then I looked up.
My Always Be Prepared side screamed with rage, and my Lazy/Scared to Break My Camera side retreated before there was all out battle, but it seems my Always Be Prepared side was a little grateful that I hadn't had my camera when I did my little tumble, but still, seething with rage my Always Be Prepared side shook a fist of warning at the retreating offender, don't do this again, it seemed to warn.
But the reason for all this happened to be what graced the sky and bathed the whole countryside with a warm honey-like glow. 
The Sunset. 
 Never have I laid eyes on such a glorious display: a big white cloud half circled the sun and blocked some of the blinding rays, diffusing the light and creating a halo.
The colors were so vivid and clear, that it was almost emotional. All the reds, oranges, yellows, purples, and finally blues added color to the masterpiece.
Our woods was bathed in the light and every time the wind blew, it was a sea of yellow and green waves, glistening an catching the rays that fell from heaven, blessing our world and any creature lucky enough to behold.

I turned my bike and looked around at the brief feast of beauty the sunset bestowed upon my home. The sun fell lower in the sky, and the light was slowly seeping away, leaving the land, as it was before. Like a face after its laughter has ceased and is plunged into sorrow.
But this sunset wasn't quite finished.
Though most of the glory had faded, it was still a sight to see: the sun dropped behind its halo, highlighting the massive cloud's profile with a hard yellow light, making it look like a mountain, a mountain that could be climbed, if only I could reach high enough.

Then it was gone.
But the memory still lives.
I will try to listen to my Always Be Prepared side more often, then maybe I will have some pictures the next time there is a beautiful sunset to speak of.

BTW. When I returned home I discovered that I had jammed my right knee. It hurts to walk now. 
And I also cried my eyes out over an awesome book(s).
If you like reading, check these out!!

Salt To The Sea  and Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
(trust me on this, I finished it in one night and it broke my heart)

Alright, signing out!!
Have a good day my lovelies!!
Abigail Leilani




     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harvest Party Costume (yes...ikikik...im super late)

Cutest little tree frog ever !!!!!

things for young ladies to do on a cold winter day